2007年10月28日日曜日

HW 1 and 2

HW 1: I'm sorry that I'm doing this homework late...

1. Reflecting about today's class:Today we discussed the Japanese concept of "wrapping". Do you agree with the web site's description?What do you do that can be called "wrapping"? Give examples and reasons for your actions.2.

I missed the first class, so I do not know exactly what you discussed then. But!!! I've heard of an interesting difference about wrapping between Japan and America. My friend, who has a boyfriend from America, visited his family on Christmas, and put presents for them under a Christmas tree. She wrapped whole stuff so they couldn't see what they were going to get. That's what Japanese people usually do for wrapping a present because we can surprise someone, and it's fun. But, the mother of her boyfriend told her that a present shouldn't be wrapped whole stuff. Then, she was not mean. She just tought her American wrapping style. I thought it's very interesting. Is it true? If I give a present to American friends, should I wrap it so they can see inside?

Preparation for the next class "Death and Funerals" Answer these questions in your blog;a. Where do you go when you die?

I a little believe that I might be born as a different person again after I die. I think this idea is from Buddhism. I heard we repeatedly live as a different person. each person does't remember anything about where and when he or she lived.

b. Explain why do Japanese have death memorial services 1 month, 1 year, 3 years, 7 years, etc. after a person's death?

I think we have death memorial services then so we do not forget the person. I do not know why they're held in those period. I guess they might be good numbers on Buddhism.



HW 2:

1.Death and Funerals:a. Do you have any international friends or a host family? If so, how would you express your condolences to them if a family member died? If not, then how would you express condolences to an American host family if their Grandmother died?

I have friends from other countries, but I've never had any experiences to do so.
How I would express condolences to American host family is, I think, to say "I'm sorry ."
This "I'm sorry" means "残念です" or "お悔やみ申し上げます"in Japanese.


b. Have you ever been to a foreign funeral?
No, I have't. But, I've been to a memorial service when I was in America. A Japanese professor passed away suddenly, and it was his memorial service for 1 week or 1 month after he's dead (I so not remember exactly). People were wearing black clothes, and some people close to him had speeches. I was wondering it was American memorial service or Japense one because he lived in America for a long time , and he is from Japan.

2. The language of Clothes (preparation for next weeks topic):

a.Why are Japanese designer label crazy?
I do not know. I do not even know most of words for fashion mean. They are too many for me.


Why is what you wear so important?
I used to spend so much money on clothes, but now I noticed it's pretty stupid. I should spend my money on traveling rather than shopping. Meanwhile, I noticed getting experiences is more important for me than getting stuff. I still like wearing what I like, but I do not spend so much money as I used to do.

b.What does “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.” mean to you?
As I said above, I noticed clothes do not really important. I like wearing cute stuff, but it's just my favorite thing as everyone has hobbies. If I can look perfect with cute clothes, I can't cover immaturity and inexperience with them. So, I try to see the book itself instead of its cover.

3 件のコメント:

tulalup さんのコメント...

Hi, i have an comments for home work 1. It was really interesting to know how your freind's boyfored's mother think about wrapping,but i think it doesn't mean that every American do that way. I saw the presents with whole wrapping when i was in America, so i think it's just the way they do. But it was really interesting to know !!

strawbarry さんのコメント...

hi, I would like to make a comment about how you think about clothes and I thought it's true. I would try not to spend a lot of money for clothes and spend something good.

HJU Teacher さんのコメント...

First about wrapping Christmas gifts in America. I have NEVER heard of such a thing as wrapping a present so you can see it! Not in my family, we have so much fun shaking the box and guessing what might be in it! It is all the fun of waiting for Christmas. Please tell you friend this!
Your views of an afterlife are also very interesting. The clothes comments show a maturity in you! Keep up the good work.